On 06 Aug 2015, at 00:57, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote: ​>> ​​Since ​Bruno is clear about all this Bruno should have no difficulty in complying to the request of substituting "John Clark" for the personal pronoun "you". ​> ​We did this already, but you came up with non sense again. More than one person did this. It changes nothing, as the nuance is not in the name or in the pronouns, but in the 1p/3p difference, or in the 1-1p/3-1p difference.

​In a world with people duplicating machines ​what exactly is the difference between ​THE​1p​ and the​ 3p difference​ and​ ​the difference between ​​THE​ 1-1p​ and the 3-​ 1​p difference​? And whose "1p" is it anyway? ​

It is the difference between what is written in a diary of a person, and what an outsider can describe as exclusive content of a collection of diaries. It is the difference , in this case, between the semantic of "I open the door and saw M (resp W) and the list "I open the door and saw M" + "I opened the door and saw M".
In this case the difference is the difference between "and" and "or".

​> ​you kept confusing the 1p and the 3p,

In short, YCT1PAT3P.​ And it's true, John Clark is very confused about which 1p Bruno Marchal is talking about, although probably not as confused as Bruno Marchal.

​> ​as comp explains that NO copies at all will *live* all experiences.

​John Clark is profoundly uninterested in "comp" and does not believe that "comp" can explain anything at all.

Computationalism is used only to formulate the problem, to get the shape of the solution (the reversal), and to motivate for the technical definitions and the mathematical solution (the Arithmetical UDA, alias the machine's interview, where the "pronouns" are defined with the technic exposed in Smullyan's Forever Undecided, notably.

​>> ​​Well now that's all very nice but ​John Clark still has one question, ​there are two ​first person experiences, which one is Bruno talking about?

​> ​The one the Helsinki guy expect to live subjectively,

​Expects? That depends entirely on who the Helsinki guy is, as interminable ​posts on this subject have conclusively shown John Clark and Bruno Marchal expect very different things.

But we do agree on who the guy is. He is the guy who remember Helsinki.

But why is this even relevant?

You would read step 4, 5, ... you would have a pretty clear idea why it is relevant (of course).

The Helsinki guy will have whatever future subjective experience he has

The point is that there are more than one which is available.

and his expectations, correct or incorrect, have absolutely positively NOTHING to do with it.

?

That's why trying to define personal identity by looking to the future rather than the past is just nuts.

Yes, but that has not been done.

​> ​we have agreed that both the Moscow man and the Washington man is the Helsinki man.

​What day is it....lets see... it's Wednesday, so yes today we agree on that. ​​Tomorrow we won't.​

You should try to not show so much clearly that you are a troll, as I will lose credits just by answering such remark.

​> ​w​​e have agreed on: both the M and W men are the same person as the H-man

​Yes the Moscow man and the Washington man are the Helsinki man, but it's important to remember that ​​t​he Washington man ​is NOT the Moscow man; and that's why personal identity can only be traced from the past to the present, never from the present to the future.​

Your own copies in W and M refute this immediately. You confirms (if that was necessary) that you never complete the thought experience. You don't interview the copies. You don't put your shoes in their shoes.

​> ​which explains why the H-man can only be uncertain if he (the 1p, well defined in H) will live the W or the M experience.

​The only uncertainty is who "he" is.

We have agreed that he is the guy remembering pushing the button. We have agreed that he will find himself in bioth city, and we have agreed that in both cities both live an experience logically incompatible with their doppelganger experience, and thus live W or M (even W xor M).

If "he" is the guy experiencing Helsinki today then "he" will experience NEITHER Washington nor Moscow ​tomorrow. However if "he" is the guy who remembers experiencing Helsinki today (or if "he" is Bruno Marchal) then "he" will experience Washington AND Moscow tomorrow.

That will never happen. Nobody will experience W and M tomorrow or any day. Both experience will occur, but a couple of incompatible experience is NOT an experience. It is only two experience of different person, who happen to be both the H-guy.

I think you have stabilized on the first/third person pov.

> ​I​n Helsinki, we decide with a coin between the alternative described just below, but we don't let you know the result:
- tail : you are duplicated in M and W
- head: you are not duplicated, but teleported to one of the city (also chosen with a coin)

This time John Clark​ would have less information to work with so not surprisingly John Clark would not know what to expect, maybe one city maybe two. Not that expectations, correct or incorrect, have any bearing on the question at hand.

He should just never expect experiencing being in two cities, and the point is that the guy cannot see the difference, unless telepathy, but that would be like a third person clue which in this protocol are assumed not to exist.

​> ​So you don't know if you will be simply teleported in one of the two city, or be duplicated in both, once you push the button. The question is: do you think that without external clue you could know which one of the alternative has been realized after pushing the button?

​Until a city was spotted ​John Clark would know that John Clark had NOT been duplicated, although John Clark's body may or may not have been.

So you say that at a time he might know what happened. Pure nonsense. Replace John Clark by a robot.
Even a zombie would not get such non-sense in his diary.

Bruno

​John K Clark​