From: Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Jul 19, 2016 01:04 PM
Subject: Re: Holiday Exercise

      wrote:

      On 19/07/2016 9:47 pm, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:

size="2">The who
          argument here, is one of fission, plus, identity. But what of
          fusion. Let us say Biff, using magical teleportation
          technology, clones himself into 2 identical guys called Biff
          and Biff zips off to Moscow, Boff decides to shop for fishing
          equipment, in Helsinki. After a few hours seeing the sights,
          buying some goods, Biff, bought a case of Stoly, Boff, some
          fishing gear, both zap back to "Copenhagen," their site of
          origin. Once they arrive, they discuss their trips with each
          other and agree to re-merge. The transporter is used, and Boff
          is absorbed back into Biff. Biff emerges from the transporter,
          memories of both places intact, and anticipating a weekend of
          fishing and Stoly. This would be fission, then fusion or
          re-fusion.

      Parfit has considered such a case:

                'Times'; font-weight: 700">Suppose that the bridge
                between my hemispheres is brought under my voluntary
                control. This would enable me to disconnect my
                hemispheres as easily as if I were blinking. By doing
                this I would divide my mind. And we can suppose that
                when my mind is divided I can, in each </span><span
style="font-size: 10.000000pt; font-family: 'Times';
                font-weight: 700; vertical-align: -1.000000pt">half,
                font-weight: 700">bring about reunion. </span></p>
                'Times'; font-weight: 700">This ability would have
                obvious uses. To give an example: I am near the end of a
                maths exam, and see two ways of tackling the last
                problem. I decide to divide my mind, to work, with each
                'Times'; font-weight: 700; vertical-align: -1.000000pt">half,
                'Times'; font-weight: 700">at one of two calculations,
                and then to reunite my mind and write a fair copy of the
                best result. </span></p>
                'Times'; font-weight: 700">What shall </span><span
style="font-size: 10.000000pt; font-family: 'Times';
                font-weight: 700; vertical-align: 1.000000pt">I </span><span
style="font-size: 10.000000pt; font-family: 'Times';
                font-weight: 700">experience?

                'Times'; font-weight: 700">............

                      'Times'; font-weight: 700">My work is now over. I
                      am about to reunite my mind. What should I, in
                      each stream, expect? Simply that I shall suddenly
                      seem to remember just having thought out two
                      calculations, in thinking out each of which I was
                      not aware of thinking out the other. This, I
                      submit, we can imagine. And if my mind was
                      divided, these memories are correct. </span></p>

                'Times'; font-weight: 700">In describing this episode, I
                assumed that there were two series of thoughts, and that
                they were both mine. If my two hands visibly wrote out
                two calculations, and if I claimed to remember two
                corresponding series of thoughts, this is surely what we
                should want to say. </span></p>
                'Times'; font-weight: 700">If it is, then a person's
                mental history need not be like a canal, with only one
                channel. It could be like a river, with islands, and
                with separate streams.

              this, but it might be of some interest to consider
              further.

              Vol. 80 (1971) pp. 3-27)

    That's pretty much the multiple drafts model of Daniel Dennett.  He
    speculates that the brain consists of a lot modules that evolved to
    serve different purposes (sight, kinesthetics, language,...) and
    they "compete" in deciding actions, including what gets encoded in
    the internal narrative we experience as conscious thoughts.

    Brent

to <a target="_blank"
href="mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com";>everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com</a>.

To post to this group, send email to <a target="_blank"
href="mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com";>everything-list@googlegroups.com</a>.

Visit this group at <a target="_blank"
href="https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list";>https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list</a>.

For more options, visit <a target="_blank"
href="https://groups.google.com/d/optout";>https://groups.google.com/d/optout</a>.