On 7/19/2016 5:18 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 19/07/2016 9:47 pm, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:
The who argument here, is one of fission, plus, identity. But what of fusion. Let us say Biff, using magical teleportation technology, clones himself into 2 identical guys called Biff and Biff zips off to Moscow, Boff decides to shop for fishing equipment, in Helsinki. After a few hours seeing the sights, buying some goods, Biff, bought a case of Stoly, Boff, some fishing gear, both zap back to "Copenhagen," their site of origin. Once they arrive, they discuss their trips with each other and agree to re-merge. The transporter is used, and Boff is absorbed back into Biff. Biff emerges from the transporter, memories of both places intact, and anticipating a weekend of fishing and Stoly. This would be fission, then fusion or re-fusion.

Parfit has considered such a case:
Personal Identity

Suppose that the bridge between my hemispheres is brought under my voluntary control. This would enable me to disconnect my hemispheres as easily as if I were blinking. By doing this I would divide my mind. And we can suppose that when my mind is divided I can, in each half, bring about reunion.

This ability would have obvious uses. To give an example: I am near the end of a maths exam, and see two ways of tackling the last problem. I decide to divide my mind, to work, with each half, at one of two calculations, and then to reunite my mind and write a fair copy of the best result.

What shall I experience?

Personal Identity

My work is now over. I am about to reunite my mind. What should I, in each stream, expect? Simply that I shall suddenly seem to remember just having thought out two calculations, in thinking out each of which I was not aware of thinking out the other. This, I submit, we can imagine. And if my mind was divided, these memories are correct.

In describing this episode, I assumed that there were two series of thoughts, and that they were both mine. If my two hands visibly wrote out two calculations, and if I claimed to remember two corresponding series of thoughts, this is surely what we should want to say.

If it is, then a person's mental history need not be like a canal, with only one channel. It could be like a river, with islands, and with separate streams.

Parfit appears to be undecided as to what to make of this, but it might be of some interest to consider further.

  --- (Derek Parfit, /The Philosophical Review/, Vol. 80 (1971) pp. 3-27)

Bruce

That's pretty much the multiple drafts model of Daniel Dennett. He speculates that the brain consists of a lot modules that evolved to serve different purposes (sight, kinesthetics, language,...) and they "compete" in deciding actions, including what gets encoded in the internal narrative we experience as conscious thoughts.