On 9/08/2016 10:51 am, Brent Meeker wrote:
On 8/8/2016 4:32 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 9/08/2016 3:01 am, Brent Meeker wrote:
I think Russell is just saying we take it as an added axiom/assumption that the duplicated brain/bodies must have separate consciousnesses at least as soon as they have different perceptions

If that is what you have to do, why not admit it openly?

This is exactly what you would predict from supposing that consciousness is a product of physical processes in the brain - something that is supported by lots and lots of evidence.

Yes, if consciousness supervenes on the physical brain, then of course that is what we might expect -- two brains ==> two consciousnesses. But that says nothing about the case of two identical brains -- is there one or two consciousnesses? The default assumption around here appears to be that the identity of indiscernibles will mean that there is only one conscious being. The question is then how this consciousness evolves as inputs change?

I think the default assumption is that consciousness supervenes on the brain, so two different brains will realize two different consciousnesses because they are at different locations and perceiving different things.

That is fine if they started off different, and were never identical -- identical in all details, not just sharing single "observer moments", even if such can be well-defined.

I would speculate that it would be just like having two autonomous Mars rovers that "wake up" at different points on the surface. They may have the same computers and sensors and programs, but their data and memories will immediately start to diverge. They won't be "completely" different, as identical twins aren't completely different. They may even occasionally think the same thoughts. But relativity tells us there's no sense to saying they think them at the same time.

But Mars  rovers are not conscious -- or are they?

I don't think this does much to invalidate Bruno's argument. He just wants to show that the physical is derivative, not that it's irrelevant.

I disagree. I think it is crucial for Bruno's argument. He cannot derive the differentiation of consciousness in this duplication case from the YD+CT starting point, so where does it come from?

In his theory, it the physics and the consciousness must both derive from the infinite threads of computation by the UD. I'm just making the point that he does need to derive the physics, specifically the finite speed of communication in order to show that the duplication results in two different consciousnesses.

The finite speed of communication is a problem only if consciousness is localized to the physical brain -- if it is a non-local computation, this might not be an issue.

It seems to me an experimental matter -- until we have duplicated a conscious being, we will not know whether the consciousnesses differentiate on different incomes or not.

Suppose their is an RF link between them so they can share computation, memory, sensor data,... Then we'd be inclined to say that they could be a single consciousness. But now suppose they are moved light-years apart. They could still share computation, memory, etc. But intelligent action on the scale of an autonomous rover would have to be based on the local resources of a single rover. So they would have to effectively "differentiate". It wouldn't be some kind of axiomatic, mathematically provable differentiation - rather a practical, observable one.

Yes, that makes sense. But the rovers are not conscious. And if they were placed at different points on the surface of Mars, they would have to start with at least some different data -- viz., their location on the surface relative to earth. The general issue I am raising is that consciousness could be non-local, in which case separated duplicates would not need any form of subluminal physical communication in order to remain a single conscious being.

You seem to be agreeing that this is, at bottom, an empirical matter. If we do the experiment and duplicate a conscious being, then separate the duplicates, we could ask one whether or not it was still aware of its duplicate. If the answer is "No", then we know that consciousness is localized to a particular physical body. If the answer is "Yes", then we know that consciousness is non-local, even though it might still supervene on the physical bodies. The latter possibility seems the more likely if consciousness is, at root, non-physical, so that the physical is an epiphenomenon of consciousness.

Bruce