> On 10 Aug 2020, at 13:44, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 7:13 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> > The “consensus” argument makes local sense in practice, by default. But it
> > is not part of science,
>
> No. Science could never work without a web of trust, that's why science
> journals exist and why some are more respected than others. A scientist
> builds on the accomplishments of previous scientists, without that there
> would be no foundation, they would have to reinvent the wheel every day and
> start out at square one. Science would never get anywhere

No problem with this. My point was just that the argument “everybody nearby
believes this” is not a valid argument.
In practice we need trust in the work of others, but eventually, every now and
then, someone comes with a new idea (like relativity, quantum mechanics) or new
interpretation or cromprehesnion of old ideas (like with Mechanism which
resurrect somehow Plato (against Aristotle) in metaphysics.

> > marijuana
>
> I don't know why you keep talking about marijuana. For decades the scientific
> consensus has been that for recreational use marijuana is not harmful, or at
> least it's far far less harmful than alcohol or tobacco, and for some medical
> conditions marijuana is actually beneficial.

Yes. We know this since 5000 years actually, according to Chinese scientists.

> But the politicians and right wing pundits don't care about science or logic
> and they have more power than scientists. Much more.

Indeed. That’s part of the problem. It is not the politicians, but the
corrupted one. I heard that more than 95% of the benefits of illegal drug
dealing is invest in the perpetuation of the prohibition, despite we know today
that the problem of drugs comes only from its prohibition, or from indecent
posologie. Recently the doctors got an incentive by “big-pharma” to double the
dose of opiates, and this has led to the “opioïd crisis”.

Bruno