On 9/5/2020 3:05 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 4 Sep 2020, at 14:24, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 7:59 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > /It has nothing to do with whether the world is deterministic or
    not: all that is involved is that there is some objective chance
    of this particular result/

If things are deterministic then there's no such thing as objective chance, and probability would just be a measure of our degree of ignorance of hidden causes.

What would be an hidden cause in the case of the self-duplication?

Whatever resolves the "self-locating uncertainty". It seems to me this concept is sneaking ignorance based probability in to avoid the deterministic contradiction that I see both Moscow and Washtington.

Brent

    > /the chance that the Yankees will win is independent of what we
    happen to think about it./

If Everettis right then there's a 100% chance the Yankees will win and a 100% chance the Yankees will lose because neither eventuality violates the laws of physics.

You cannot have a 100% probability for A, and for B, when A and B are incompatible events (like "feeling to be in W", and “feeling to be in M”, or like “seeing the spin up” and seeing the spin down.

There is no problem once we distinguish the 3P and 1P notions, which is also the base of the understanding of the mind-body problem.

Bruno

John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2ETLL%2Bu1GShLpzyEvdxWe8A2ZBN0xYEBfc1id7mNQm%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2ETLL%2Bu1GShLpzyEvdxWe8A2ZBN0xYEBfc1id7mNQm%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/DC154255-0CE4-4FC0-BC6F-2A3D2AF8D5EF%40ulb.ac.be <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/DC154255-0CE4-4FC0-BC6F-2A3D2AF8D5EF%40ulb.ac.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.