> On 11 Sep 2020, at 15:12, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 5:11 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> >> When self duplication becomes commonplace I think the English language
> >> will need to change so much that what people will say would be
> >> incomprehensible to an English speaker in the early 21st century when self
> >> duplication was anything but commonplace.
>
> > Then this should have happened since long, as you and me are already
> > differentiate results from the first amoeba…
>
> Amoebas don't have a language and probably aren't conscious,

Amoebas communicate through little piece of DNA exchange. The genome of a
bacteria is Turing universal. I take it as quite speculative that amoebas are
not conscious. Then we duplicate ourselves biologically (twins, brother, etc.).
The doppelgänger is not much more than a twin, and for obvious reason,
self-duplication will be tolerated virtually, in a small number of exemplars.
This is a bit distracting. What might change is that the John Clarks of the
world will understand the first person indeterminacy, and eventually the
machine’s theory of consciousness and matter, which is basically what
Pythagorus, Moderatus, Plato, Plotinus, … already found.

Bruno