> On 14 Apr 2021, at 17:15, Philip Benjamin <medinucl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> [Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>]
>     “But the amplitude of probability is physically real: that is the whole
> point of quantum mechanics, not to mention arithmetic (with Mechanism)”.
> [Philip Benjamin]
>       That is indeed physics proper. One has to appreciate your methodical
> and systematic approach to this problem. It is commendable that, unlike the
> order of the day,  you do not rely on the logical fallacy of Argumentum ad
> Verecundiam  respect for “authority” of customs, institutions and I.Q.s, to
> strengthen your argument and provide an illusion of proof. However,
> probabilities are not necessarily possibilities. Amplitude of PROBABILITIES
> is no exception.  A theory of reality is not REALITY itself.

Indeed. That is even provable for the arithmetical reality, which is beyond all
effective theories.

> Numbers form 0 to infinity are syncategorematic nouns.

Hmm… You might confuse the numbers, and the expression naming the numbers in
some theory, like the numeral 0, s0, ss0, ...

> Numbers of what? 2 + 2 = 4 is not a categorematic expression of REALITY
> unless the “of what” is specified.

Assuming that there is anything more, which I doubt.

It helps, when doing metaphysics with the scientific method to make clear what
we assume and what we derive from it. When we assume mechanism, and if one is
aware of the execution of all computers in arithmetic, the burden of the proofs
that we should assume more than numbers (or combinators…) is in the hand of the
believers in that something more.

> 2 electrons + 2 electrons = 4 electrons  is a categorematic statement. The
> probability of a massive particle being (or even becoming) a massless wave is
> zero, nada, zilch.  If my memory is correct even in a nuclear reaction
> (explosion, included),  the total charge before and after a nuclear reaction
> is conserved; so also the total NUMBER of nucleons before and after a
> reaction are also the same. It is the binding energies that are released.
>     As far as electrons in these PROBABILITES you cite are concerned, Bohr
> has already assigned them to “stationary orbits” (predetermined energy
> levels). Then where do the new “stationary orbits” of NEW REALITIES
> speculated in various “mathematical/statistical” theories originate? What
> kind of “chemistries” are available for these NEW REALITIES, such as Many
> Worlds etc. ? What is the nature of a Many World chemistry?

Good question. I can answer some of them in the frame of the computationalist
hypothesis. Everything physical emerges from arithmetic as seen from inside in
some mode of self-reference.

What many people miss is that the notions of computer and computation are an
arithmetical notion.

Another “cultural” problem, since Aristotle, is the confusion between the
(many) evidences that there is a physical reality, and the (absent) evidences
that this physical reality is fundamental or primitive (= has to be assumed, or
= cannot be derived from less).

Bruno