On 4/23/2024 2:02 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 3:18 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    *>> I don't see whyan AI would need us to supply the Qualia, it
    could do that on its own. It's easy to see the advantage we would
    get by merging with an AI, but it's much harder to see what
    advantage the AI would get out of the deal.*

    /"That would depend on what values the AI instantiated.  We have
    values determined by billions of years of evolution"/

*And a modern AI has values determined by billions of years of random mutation and natural selection PLUS almost a century of intelligent design; I personally would mark the beginning of the computer age as 1936, the year Alan Turing published his paper that introduced the concept that we now call a Turing Machine.*

    ***>*/ "//AIs so far have simple values"/

*Simple?! The value matrix of an AI has become so complex that no human being understands them, not even the people that made the AI.
*

*I don't think you understand "values".  They are the basis of motivation, i.e. to realized values.  What motivates LLAMA3...a prompt.  What values does it realize...a response that maximizes some function of the way words fit together.  That it has lots of parameters that are numbers is not the same as having lots of values.

Brent
*
*
*
John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
!>?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2%3DtiaCZ9voafRP%2B%3DL_QyAVJC4Hshsh8%2B2H1z87jjcXSg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2%3DtiaCZ9voafRP%2B%3DL_QyAVJC4Hshsh8%2B2H1z87jjcXSg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.