Stathis Papaioannou

On Tue, 9 Jul 2024 at 22:15, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>> Mental states could be necessarily tied to physical states without having
>> any separate causal efficacy, and zombies would not be logically possible.
>> Software is necessarily tied to hardware activity: if a computer runs a
>> particular program, it is not optional that the program is implemented.
>> However, the software does not itself have causal efficacy, causing current
>> to flow in wires and semiconductors and so on: there is always a sufficient
>> explanation for such activity in purely physical terms.
>>

> I don't disagree that there is sufficient explanation in all the particle
> movements all following physical laws.
>
> But then consider the question, how do we decide what level is in control?
> You make the case that we should consider the quantum field level in
> control because everything is ultimately reducible to it.
>
> But I don't think that's the best metric for deciding whether it's in
> control or not. Do the molecules in the brain tell neurons what do, or do
> neurons tell molecules what to do (e.g. when they fire)? Or is it some
> mutually conditioned relationship?
>
> Do neurons fire on their own and tell brains what to do, or do neurons
> only fire when other neurons of the whole brain stimulate them
> appropriately so they have to fire? Or is it again, another case of
> mutualism?
>
> When two people are discussing ideas, are the ideas determining how each
> brain thinks and responds, or are the brains determining the ideas by
> virtue of generating the words through which they are expressed?
>
> Through in each of these cases, we can always drop a layer and explain all
> the events at that layer, that is not (in my view) enough of a reason to
> argue that the events at that layer are "in charge." Control structures,
> such as whole brain regions, or complex computer programs, can involve and
> be influenced by the actions of billions of separate events and separate
> parts, and as such, they transcend the behaviors of any single physical
> particle or physical law.
>
> Consider: whether or not a program halts might only be determinable by
> some rules and proof in a mathematical system, and in this case no physical
> law will reveal the answer to that physical system's (the computer's)
> behavior. So if higher level laws are required in the explanation, does it
> still make sense to appeal to the lower level (physical) laws as providing
> the explanation?
>
> Given the generality of computers, they can also simulate any imaginable
> set of physical laws. In such simulations, again I think appealing to our
> physical laws as explaining what happens in these simulations is a mistake,
> as the simulation is organized in a manner to make our physical laws
> irrelevant to the simulation. So while you could explain what happens in
> the simulation in terms of the physics of the computer running it, it adds
> no explanatory power: it all cancels out leaving you with a model of the

I would say that something has separate causal efficacy of its own if
physical events cannot be predicted without taking that thing into account.
For example, the trajectory of a bullet cannot be predicted without taking
the wind into account. In the brain, the trajectory of an atom can be
predicted without taking consciousness into account. The wind therefore can
be said to have separate causal efficacy of its own, but consciousness
cannot. This is perhaps a narrow, reductionist account and it misses out on
all that is important about the mind and intelligence, but I think it is a
valid difference.

I view mental states as high-level states operating in their own regime of