On 7/8/2024 1:34 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Mon, Jul 8, 2024, 4:04 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 2:12 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>
    wrote:

        />Consciousness is a prerequisite of intelligence./

    I think you've got that backwards, intelligence is a prerequisite
    of consciousness. And the possibility of intelligent ACTIONS is a
    prerequisitefor Darwinian natural selection to have evolved it.

I disagree, but will explain below.

        /> One can be conscious without being intelligent,/

    Sure.

I define intelligence by something capable of intelligent action.

Intelligent action requires non random choice: choice informed by information from the environment.

Having information about the environment (i.e. perceptions) is consciousness. You cannot have perceptions without there being some process or thing to perceive them.

Therefore perceptions (i.e. consciousness) is a requirement and precondition of being able to perform intelligent actions.

I agree.  And there for evolution can "see" consciousness, just like it can see metabolism.

Brent

Jason

    The Turing Test is not perfect, it has a lot of flaws, but it's
    all we've got. If something passes the Turing Test then it's
    intelligent and conscious, but if it fails the test then it may or
    may not be intelligent and or conscious.

        /You need to have perceptions (of the environment, or the
        current situation) in order to act intelligently. /

    For intelligence to have evolved, and we know for a fact that it
    has, younot only need to be able to perceive the environment you
    also need to be able to manipulate it. That's why zebras didn't
    evolve great intelligence, they have no hands, so a brilliant
    zebra wouldn't have a great advantage over a dumb zebra, in fact
    he'd probably be at a disadvantage because a big brain is a great
    energy hog.
    John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis
    339

    3b4

    Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2Zjakk5szeMFfZu%3DCYp3FzopZsOOMXW%2Bx7qPH9_pujfg%40mail.gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2Zjakk5szeMFfZu%3DCYp3FzopZsOOMXW%2Bx7qPH9_pujfg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CA%2BBCJUi-LWn1sGnWc95aUw1ib9a7WXV%2BCkj9b%2Bgq0OboAes7mw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CA%2BBCJUi-LWn1sGnWc95aUw1ib9a7WXV%2BCkj9b%2Bgq0OboAes7mw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.