exchange + mscs = sleep deprivation

look forward to cluster services failing for no apparent reason, exchange
services not responding properly to actions in cluster administrator,
dubious failover etc etc

in 4 months with the cluster we had plenty of downtime during working hours,
terrible. Since trashing the cluster and using the two servers as seperate
exchange servers in the same site, we've had no downtime, and both servers
are busy delivering mail instead of one just sitting there waiting to not
work when called upon.

while i'm on the subject, does anyone know the correct way to get exchange
databases (particularly the directory i think) to forget that they are part
of a clustered exchange server? . The problem is that the IMS won't install
on a clean, non-clustered exchange server with restored databases from a
clustered exchange server. It throws an error saying the cluster services
aren't installed, so there must be something in the databases that tells
exchange it should be on a cluster.

i couldn't figure it out, so ended up migrating users to another server
using ed's server move method.

dan.