On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Michael B. Smith
<mich...@theessentialexchange.com> wrote:
> I simply don't see how moving to sendmail or whatever allows you to define
> the DESTINATION FOLDER of a particular email.

  Well, since you ask: With Sendmail/Postfix and procmail, I would
have just put the following in /etc/procmailrc and be done already.

        :0:
        * ^X-Spam-blah
        inbox-spam

  Exchange makes it rather harder to define server-wide filtering
rules.  There's no mechanism for doing it the way Outlook does, so you
either muck around with Event Sinks (and therefore something totally
incompatible with what the client uses), or you use something that
loads rules into each user's ruleset (which makes sysadmin changes a
bear).

  I wouldn't consider the above sufficient reason to set-up another
mail server, though.  It might be be a contributing factor in a larger
plan, but I've seen no evidence of such a need at this point.

> That seems very much a client function to me than a (normal) server function.

  Exchange normally processes filtering rules before the mail ever
hits Outlook, so this is not that different.  (Except procmail doesn't
consider "permanently delete" to be "client-only".  ;-)  )

-- Ben