From: Jim Dandy [mailto:jda...@asmail.ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:14 AM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Exchange 2003 Crisis

Thursday morning I came to work and my exchange server was not receiving mail.
The antivirus engine had stopped and after that the event log registered
thousands of entries that the Ninja VSAPI had refused Microsoft Exchange
InfoStore request to scan a message because the Ninja Store Scanner is down.
(I'm using Vipre E-mail Security for antivirus/antispam). No other unusual
entries were found in the event log.  I rebooted the server and it took a
really long time to shut down. When it came back up the Ninja Store scanner
service was not started but I was able to start it manually. Without going into
a lot more detail I'll just say the info store wasn't working right. Subsequent
attempts to stop the IS service failed. I disabled Vipre, rebooted again and
everything resumed normal function (except no antivirus/antispam). I updated
Vipre and reenabled its services. The following morning the server had crashed
in the same way.  When it crashes messages are not delivered to inboxes and the
sender does not get an NDR.

Since then I've had a user claim that he tried to move some messages from one
folder to another and they disappeared. Later he told me that he had an
important message in his inbox and when he tried to open it, it disappeared.

So, the questions I have are

1) Could a corrupt info store cause the av scanner to fail like this? If so,
how can I check for/repair the store?
2) Does this guy's claims seem possible that messages are just disappearing?

Details
Exchange Server 2003 with both front and backend servers.
Vipre E-mail security latest version.

Thanks for your help.

or send an email to