On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Didn't the rules on exporting crypto change recently? Enough that now,
> unless you're one of the so-called "Terrorist countries" you're allowed to
> d/l crypto software from US sites.

They changed a bit, but it's really borderline. There is the crypto-export
issue, the Wasennar (sp?) agreement, and also some patent issues related
to RSA and IDEA.

You are not allowed to export 128-bit software from the US, but you can
export it to Canada only. If the software is open-source, and has most of
the code coming from another country than the US (openssl comes from
Australia originally, now Switzerland and Germany while openssh comes from
europe originally but now is in Canada), I think it should be safe to
export it.

I am not a lawyer, but this is what I understand from a lot of reading.

Jean-Michel Dault
[EMAIL PROTECTED]