On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 03:57:52PM -0400 or thereabouts, Jean-Michel Dault wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Didn't the rules on exporting crypto change recently? Enough that now,
> > unless you're one of the so-called "Terrorist countries" you're allowed to
> > d/l crypto software from US sites.
>
> You are not allowed to export 128-bit software from the US, but you can
> export it to Canada only. If the software is open-source, and has most of
> the code coming from another country than the US (openssl comes from
> Australia originally, now Switzerland and Germany while openssh comes from
> europe originally but now is in Canada), I think it should be safe to
> export it.

Actually, the US law has changed a few months ago, and 128 bit is okay to
export.  This was demonstrate by a US Congresman from California who was the
first to send the PGP program to someone in England.  It made the papers
nationally.  It really is no longer a problem.  In fact, if you go to PGPI
(Internationl) website, www.pgpi.com, to download the latest version, it
will send you to the US site for downloading.

Regards,

Gary