On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> I have had complaints from customers about the fact that mandrake is
> compiled for the Pentium class systems when using an Athlon.  Have any of
> you had the same problem.  My experience is with the K6-2 and K6-3.  I want
> to install on an Athlon but have my doubts.  Any comments is appriciated.
>
> Debie Scholz

I have done about 10 K-6, 37 Celeron, 2 P-II/III, and one Duron (Athlon with a
smaller on-chip cache and for Socket A)

I have had more difficulty with the Celeron Systems, but not processor
troubles, chipsets only.  All the Processors work very well.  The one Chip I
have heard some things about, and they were chipset dependant, was the K6-3,
and that concerned the On-Chip L2 Cache and the resulting speed performance.
Since AMD dropped the K6-3, there _may_ be some substance to those complaints;
however, I have had reports of flawless multiyear performance from K6-3s as
well.

My Duron experience was _uninteresting_  AMD and Mandrake made it way too easy
to set that one up.

Civileme