> The real question is what you want the machine to do :) For example, I
> have an old PC/XT clone I still use as a terminal for an AMD K6-2/350
> system and a 386sx/25 (ex-doorstop) running as a firewall/router.

Doesn't there come a point when using a machine as old as an XT clone
actually costs more to run (heat/electric) than grabbing something like the
BookPC machines (around $500 ready to roll) and tossing the "classic" into
the antique rack?

I'm not blasting anyone for still using old equipment, I would never do
that. I'm just curious as to the trade off. I would assume their has been
significant advances in power efficiency and in the physics involved in
keeping machines cool in the past 10 years or so and that these features may
make purchasing a new machine more cost effective than running an old one.

Just curious!