----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony McGee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: Re [expert] Vi/Vim - The editor from HELL! How do I
setthedefault editor soI can TRASH IT?

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Mallard pushed some tiny letters in this order:
> > People shouldn't need to know ANYTHING about computers to use one, or
> > read all sorts of documentation to get something done on one. The next
> > generation of OS that makes it will the one that is programmed to
> > interface with a human without a learning curve. Geeks will hate it.
>
> In the tradition of applying an automotive analogy to computers, would you
give
> anyone a licence without them first reading the road rules and taking a
few
> practical lessons? You do need to know SOMETHING about how to use a
computer if
> you need to use them in your day to day work habits.

In the tradition of applying an automotive analogy...do you know how the
tumblers in the cylinder of the switch on your steering column work?  Do you
know how that switch activates your starter motor?  Do you know what
cascaded sequence of events occur and how they occur in order just to start
your car.  Yes we need to know how to operate a car and basic driving rules,
but we do not need to know the thermodynamic principles of internal
combustion engines in order to operate a car.  The same can be said for a
computer.  My father in law uses his computer to check his email, surf
occasionally, and maybe print some purty pictures; he does not need to know
or want to know a bunch of arcane cryptic commands if he just wants to type
a letter. </rant>

> I'd have to disagree with you about the next generation of OS's being cute
and
> cuddly as well. I think Linux will improve to a point where it's at least
as
> usable as Windows but no more. As the next generation of humans mature
they will
> have grown up immersed in computer technology and almost instinctively
know how
> to operate a computer. Computers that have hand holding interfaces are
designed
> for those over a certain age who've never used a computer in their life.
As the
> population ages this type of demographic will disappear; but at the moment
> unfortunately ancient computers aren't the only type of "legacy devices"
that
> modern systems need to deal with.

While the above may be true, there will always be people who have no
need/interest to know how and why their computer does what it does.  For
them it is a tool, plain and simple, like a hammer of a spoon.  It just
needs to work.  The beauty of the ongoing evolution of Linux is that it will
eventually fulfill both the need for the geek and the grandfather looking at
emailed pictures of his grandkids.  This is the direct opposite of most
other OS's which use operating obfuscation in the name of user friendliness
(and it ain't jus MS, ever tried to really get into the guts of the Mac OS?)
Linux has amazing potential, but it ain't there yet.

Adam