On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Mallard pushed some tiny letters in this order:
> People shouldn't need to know ANYTHING about computers to use one, or
> read all sorts of documentation to get something done on one. The next
> generation of OS that makes it will the one that is programmed to
> interface with a human without a learning curve. Geeks will hate it.

In the tradition of applying an automotive analogy to computers, would you give
anyone a licence without them first reading the road rules and taking a few
practical lessons? You do need to know SOMETHING about how to use a computer if
you need to use them in your day to day work habits.

I'd have to disagree with you about the next generation of OS's being cute and
cuddly as well. I think Linux will improve to a point where it's at least as
usable as Windows but no more. As the next generation of humans mature they will
have grown up immersed in computer technology and almost instinctively know how
to operate a computer. Computers that have hand holding interfaces are designed
for those over a certain age who've never used a computer in their life. As the
population ages this type of demographic will disappear; but at the moment
unfortunately ancient computers aren't the only type of "legacy devices" that
modern systems need to deal with.