NOT!

The new XFree86-4.0.1-26mdk.src.rpm refuses to build just like version
23mdk.src.rpm and 24mdk.src.rpm with the same problem.  This last little
bit of message in the konsole is the only indication of the problem:

Processing files: XFree86-glide-module-4.0.1-26mdk File not found:
/var/tmp/XFree86-root/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glide_drv.o
Requires: XFree86-server = 4.0.1-26mdk Processing files:
XFree86-xfs-4.0.1-26mdk Finding  Provides: (using
/usr/lib/rpm/find-provides)... Finding  Requires: (using
/usr/lib/rpm/find-requires)... PreReq: shadow-utils /bin/sh Requires:
initscripts >= 5.27-28mdk XFree86-libs = 4.0.1-26mdk ld-linux.so.2
libc.so.6 libm.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXfont.so.1 /bin/sh
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) Obsoletes: xtt [root@localhost
praedor]# konsole

The build is practically finished, rpms should be written in my binary
rpm
directory, but instead there is nothing.  I get spit out to the prompt
with "konsole" written there for some reason (I didn't enter that).

Once again, and still, the XFree86-4.0.1 src is lacking something that
prevents
its building.  I even installed EVERYTHING having to do with Glide_V3,
DRI, and
Glide_V5 just to cover my bases - supply everything that might possibly
be
required for the build process to build glide_drv.o.  No go, there is no
glide_drv.o produced ("file not found" and I have looked for it during
and
after the build process to see if it is misplaced or really IS made but
then skipped over).  The module requires XFree86-server = 4.0.1-26mdk,
which
is funny.  You are trying to build XFree86-4.0.1, which supplies the
said server AND the glide module, yet the module must have
XFree86-server-4.0.1
installed first (apparently) to build the glide module.  Chicken and egg
problem.  It requires its own creation prior to creating itself.

I have redirected output to xfree.log and xfreeerr.log and neither has
ANY errors listed except for the above glide_drv.o missing error, which
is the last message produced before getting kicked back to the command
prompt with null results in the build.

There is NOTHING wrong with my system.  EVERYTHING required to build
XFree
is installed and working on my system.  It is trying, and failing, to
refer
to itself during the build and that is killing the rpm build process.

Maddening since a mere glide module going missing is NOT a show-stopper
unless you are using a 3dfx video card.  Most people are not.  A simple
module missing should not prevent the building of ALL rpms.  This
appears
to be a problem with:

1.  The mandrake src, config, or make files for xfree
2.  With rpm (mandrake-independent) that stops a build cold simply
because a minor module is missing.  This should NOT kill a build,
should ONLY prevent the production of one sub-rpm
(XFree86-glide-module).

Perhaps Mandrake could do the universe a favor and modify/improve
rpm so that this sort of thing doesn't ABSOLUTELY prevent the production
of binary rpms.  An error message is enough to get the point across
while STILL producing all the non-dependent binary rpms in a src rpm.

praedor