I downloaded a module from the net but have no idea where to place it.
It really is supposed
to be CREATED from the XFree86-4x source as
XFree86-glide-module-4.0.1-*mdk.ix86.rpm
and is not supposed to derive externally.

The message about it during building appears to indicate that it wants
XFree86-server-4x, which
is also built from the source rpm.  This is what makes me wonder if
there may be a problem with
some config file somewhere - it isn't looking in the correct local
directory in the build directory
for the XFree86-server portion.  I believe that the server portion is
built/compiled before the
glide module is, but no binary rpms are created until ALL the source is
compiled.

XFree source, whether tarball or rpm, is not like most source.  It is
layed out in its own way,
relies on Imake/xmkmf.  If I had any idea where in the mess of XFree
directories and subdirectories
to look, I might be able to alter whatever config file is responsible
for the problem (if it is a config
file), fix it, re-tar/gzip the build directory, replace the tarball
derived directly from the src rpm,
and then to a "rpm -bb XFree86-4-mdk.spec" and presumably get it going OK.

In any case, an externally supplied glide_drv.o module should not be
necessary since, as I said,
it is SUPPOSED to come from the XFree86 source...and where, exactly,
should I place this
module so it is seen during the final stages of the build process?  It
is looking for:

/var/tmp/XFree86-root/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glide_drv.o

During the build, this directory is temporarily created and contains a
number of drivers
EXCEPT for glide_drv.o, which isn't being properly created.  Now, I HAVE
tried
copying my downloaded copy of glide_drv.o into this directory during the
build, but
this did not work - this directory and everything in it gets wiped at
some point during
the build and cleanup and glide_drv.o isn't seen as a result.  I tried
making it and everything
else in the directory immutable (chattr +i *), doesn't work.  It
prevents the build from
proceeding.   I tried copying it to the real /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
directory - doesn't work.

I had hoped that a mandrake person would monitor this list and offer
information or
explanation.  I guess I will have to submit a bug report to them
directly.  I am amazed that
they are producing any XFree-4.x binary rpms given this problem,
however.  Presumably, they
are using the same source rpms that I have been trying.  If nothing
else, they are not listing
a critical dependency for building this src rpm.

praedor