I've just downloaded/registered VMware under their 30 day trial.

I've gone through the configuration and it seemed happy.  I set up
Windows 98 as the guest OS (I'm doing this on a dual-boot machine where
Windows is on /dev/hda1) and this generated a /vmware/win98 directory that
holds what appears to be a proper config file.

All loads well with one small exception.  The boot is initiated,
CDROMs/floppy/etc are found and then it says it can't find the
operating system.  I can't see anything in the system config file
(/etc/vmware) or the operating config file (~/vmware/win98) where it's
specified where Windows is located so it's unclear to me what I should do
to point it in the right direction.  I can't even find this being stated
as a possible problem on the vmware site so I are confused.  Can someone
help?

Cheers --- Larry