On Wednesday 27 December 2000 02:39 pm, Chris Aakre wrote:
> What is this task:
>
> [chris@localhost cron.daily]$ less slocate.cron
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /usr/bin/slocate -u -f "udf,nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts,iso9660,usbdevfs"
> -e "/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/afs,/net"
>
> This annoying task looks around on my hard drive for half an hour,
> consuming 50% of my CPU time on a PII 300. Is this needed? Can I cancel it?
> I have no idea what it's trying to do.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Chris Aakre

Chris,

That task is slocate running and compiling a database of what's on your hard
drive.  The "locate" command then uses this database to allow you to find
anything on your hard drive (since the last time slocate ran, anyway).

For example, "locate netscape" will search your hard drive for filenames
containing the text "netscape".  It's a pretty useful command, actually, so
you want to let slocate run (although you might want to keep your machine on
overnight and let slocate run while you're sleeping).

--
Brian Hartman, MLS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]