^^^^^
> As I think on this, would not dialing someone's phone from the internet
> require a server somewhere that would take net traffic and route it to the
> phone switch in a certain area?  Say I want to call my parents on my PC.
> Using the normal phone system, this is a longdistance call.  To make the call
> with my PC and have it be, essentially free, my phonecall would need to go to
> a switch/router/server in my parent's state that would then redirect the
> signal to a local phoneswitch (or some such), making my longdistance call
> from my PC essentially a local call.  Is this not how net2phone and dialpad
> is done?  Via a server through client software?

Yes, that is correct. That is exactly what it does. Now, what is it that
the Quicknet PhoneJack cards do that these services do not do but get
the same job done? Hmmm...
That is why we want to either hack (program) the current java codecs
that dialpad uses or net2phone and make a linux plugin to handle them.
As far as the hardware of Quicknet PhoneJack, I get the impression that
it is nothing more than a specialized sound card. If java is java, then
why did dialpad tell me in writing that they don't have support for it
yet? What type of sense does that make?! Anybody feeling me on this one?
I will post their letter to me to the list.
That is next.

Cheers,
-- Al

--