You're right.  This is what I've done thus far to try to isolate the
problem:

Problem:

When changing resolutions X server crashes and restarts.  when loading
Quak3 xserver crashes and restarts.  when loading Chroimium in windowed
mode everything works fine including DRI, when Chromium is switched to
fullscreen mode, X server crashes and restarts.

Tests made:

1. Switched card with another known good Voodoo3.  Same problem.

2. Commented our Load "DRI" from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Can switch
resolutions without X server crashing, however Quake runs EXTRMEMLY slow
becasue there is no DRI device to use.

3. Remove DRI comment and problem returns

4. Comment Load "GLX" from XF86Config-4.  Problem persists.

This may not be the best troubleshooting in the world, but it convinced me
that the DRI in X 4.0.3 is what was causing my problems.

Not to say that DRI is not working, because Chromium will work in windowed
mode.  More specifically I think the problem is that changing resolutions
while using DRI is what is casuing the crash.  This can be seen from step
2 above.  what do you think?

--