John, have you try with games that don't use the DRI, like clanbomber or
pingus, they also crashes X due to the full screen!!!, but your experiment
dissabling DRI seems to be a very good clue, perhaps those games I mentioned
before don't use DRI, but if it is activated DRI is the responsible of the
resolution change and because that it hangs X.

Very good experiment! according to the scientific method :-).

I think the conclusions are very solid; I will send this message also to
Guillaume Cottenceau, he said me that I was using a Voodo3  3000 (exactly the
same that the mine) with XFree86 4.0.3 without problems; I thought that I
could have a special problem due to my hardware, but the last messages are
showing that the problem is generalizated with  XFree86 4.0.3 (and I had the
problem also in beta 2 with 4.0.2) and Voodoo3 3000 (also probably with 2000).

I hope Guillaume could give as the way to solve the problem or the way to
communicate it to XFree86 team.

If some of us find the solution, this list could be a goog meeting point.

See  you soon

Francisco Alcaraz
Murcia (Spain)

El Martes 01 Mayo 2001 00:44, escribiste: