Thanks Michel and Nelson, I'm getting closer to solving my problem, but I'm
still not quite there.

> I should hope so, since I downloaded v2.2.2-17 of kdebase just this morning

  Did you have any problems of that? I've tried several mirrors including
ciril.fr and suset.se, and each one shows kdebase as being 99 megs in size
(and rpmdrake refuses to download it).

> Let's get the elementary things out of the way first- you have refreshed
> your urpmi database? When you run MandrakeUpdate, cancel your way out of
> that annoying wizard thingy and get to the real interface, then use the
> icon on top to refresh your system's aquaintance with the cooker.

  Ah, I hadn't refreshed it... thanks. BTW, the reason I was trying to use
the MandrakeUpdate wizard was because the README on the KDE FTP server's
Mandrake directory says "Official KDE 2.2.2 packages for Mandrake Linux 7.2,
8.0 i586, 8.0 PPC, 8.1 i586 and 8.1 IA4 will be shortly in MandrakeUpdate."
  Any idea how to get these "official" packages? I'm assuming downloading an
8.1 binary might be preferable to a cooker one, wouldn't it?

  Thanks,
       Tim

Timothy R. Butler | Universal  Networks | http://www.uninet.info
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          ICQ: 12495932 AIM: Uninettm
Christian Portal and Search Tool:       http://www.faithtree.com
Open Source Migration Guide:                  http://www.ofb.biz
============= "Christian Web Services Since 1996" ==============
Registered Linux User #82130   Reg. Linux Machines #34002 & 102889