On 2001.02.05 00:51:27 -0500 Vincent Danen wrote:
> On Sun Feb 04, 2001 at 12:12:45PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> https://qa.mandrakesoft.com/

Ah, OK.  Couldn't find a link to that anywhere... sorry.

> This isn't really a problem with MandrakeUpdate (well, there could be
> two schools of thought on this).  The problem is that libcups wasn't
> previously installed.  This is because the update was based off a
> version in unsupported which in turn was a 7.2 rebuild based off a
> cooker RPM, which has "libified" everything.  This will be corrected
> tomorrow with "proper 7.2 packages" so this will not be an issue.
> Sorry to everyone whom this affected... my test machine had the
> unsupported RPMs installed (ie. libcups was already installed), so I
> didn't catch this myself.

Ah, so there are no plans for MandrakeUpdate to support proper
dependencies?  I am under the assumtpion that apt-rpm will be used in the
next Mandrake (since it's being used in Cooker), so I suppose putting too
much work into the current MandrakeUpdate may be a bit of waste.  ^,^

Will the next major release use apt-rpm, or at least have an Updater with
proper dependencies?  That would make things a *lot* easier.  ^,^  Getting
MandrakeUpdate as is to deal with dependencies for uninstalled packages
would be nice, since it simply uses FTP and doesn't require package lists
to be built (or so I'm assuming, for what I've seen).  This would be great
to 'update' from un-official online archives, like the FreezerBurn list of
back-ported packages from Cooker.

Just my opinions, anyways.  ^,^

Thanks for the answer to my other question!

Sean Etc.

--
Sean Middleditch
  of