On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 15:35, Mike Leone wrote:
> > I've just got a quick question on this topic: with all of this hoopla on
> > nVidia's closed source Linux drivers, what is wrong with them? Do they not
> > do something right? To the best of my knowledge, they implement OpenGL 1.3
> > to the letter; is something broken?
>
> What is wrong with them is (to some people) the fact that they are not open source;
>this makes them less good (from a philosophical/ethical point of view) than the
>equivalent open source. The fact that they work extremely well (if not perfectly),
>and provide better/faster operation than the open source versions, is immaterial.

<js> And to add to this, it's sad that some people worry about what may
or may not happen in the future.  Consider this, Nvidia is supporting
Linux, they are providing drivers which is more than some companies are
doing and some people fail to give them their props for that.  More so,
some companies support Linux by releasing the hardware specifications
and leaving it up the Open Source programmers to implement, then they
ride the we support Linux wave. Nvidia is using their programing talent
to support these cards, there is something to be said for that.  I don't
care as much about how the support is coming, as long as it is there.
Now there are those who are more philosophically "pure" then me, and
they have the choice to use what they want.  As I have that choice for
myself.  I accept the reality that the programing talent in the Open
Source world can not keep up with every piece of hardware for the pc
world and if a manufacture choices to support there hardware they have
the right to chose how, be it open source or not.

As to the argument I am a slave to them because I use there cards and
drivers is a far cry from being a slave because of my data being locked
in a closed format.  I can switch a video card much quicker than I can
change critical stored data.  It's only a piece of hardware, it's not my
data which is more important for me to own access to.

> > Because, after this open/closed source debate is over we will still be left
> > with the fact that nVidia's closed source drivers work better than ATi's or
> > Matrox's.
>
> The performance of the drivers doesn't count, for some people.

<js> Or the fact that X has support for Nvidia cards that is open
source, granted it is only 2d.  But heck open source drivers are there
for use.  Although I can't see doing that, it's like buying a Mustang to
take your grandmother to church.