Tomorrow... Ron Stodden ran for the door shrieking:

>Surely just select the source string with your mouse, then go to the
>destination place and click your middle button (if you have a wheel
>mouse click the wheel, if you only have a two button mouse click both at
>once).
>
>This method is application-independent (and puts Windows to shame<g>).

After some experimenting, I found that I can do this from pine within
konsole.  I'm currently all setup using Pine within Eterm on Blackbox for
which this won't work without holding the shift key which I didn't know
until now (thanks to another post).

I followed another suggestion and made vi my alt.editor so I have a
choice now.  Thank everyone for their suggestions though, through all that
I learned a lot!

Mike

--
Michael & Tracy Holt
Kirkland, WA                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]