daRcmaTTeR wrote on Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 02:32:04PM -0400 :

> It's been my personal experience in the past 6 months that devfs is
> totally and completely the spawn of satan. I don't forsee any true

Satan might like you, but I'm his favorite.  -- a coworker

> usefullness coming from this particular part of Mandrake's inner
> workings other then LOTS of severe user frustration. personally I think
> "IT" should be forever scuttled and banned from the landscape of so
> wonderful an OS never to be seen or heard from again....EVER!

On a server where things don't change much,  yes.
On a desktop where external drives are being hotplugged via firewire and
USB, it needs to be there or the functionality will not appear on the
desktop without manual configuration.  Usability is where it's headed
folks, and making it usable without being a rocket scientist is what's
required for your Grandmother, for you girlfriend's mom, for the kid
down the street, etc.

Blue skies...           Todd (speaking only for himself,
                              not in any official capacity)
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because