On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:38:41 -0700
Todd Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority

> James wrote on Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 06:04:16PM -0700 :
> > Oh the wording is mine... it goes to runlevel 5 supposedly.  But X
> > etc cannot start.  NO error messages.... just a hang.  Leaving the
> > box alone for an hour results in a box that cannot be ssh'd into and
> > is totally frozen.  No error messages.  No log records it seems that
> > X and Linux think they are ok .... just it's not working.  X never
> > fails.. nor does
>
> If you run top with a refresh rate of 1 second, do you slowly see the
> load climbing?

Haven't tried that will do later tonight and report... right now I've
got to finish a web page. *grin*

 If you do ps ax frequently do you see processes with a
> status of "D"?

I've looked for D and Z listings.  None found.

  Just trying to isolate exactly what it is that is
> causing the system to come to a crawl.  If it's in kernel space, it
> could be very difficult to determine what it is that's causing it.
>
> Do you have a zip drive?  If so, delete the /etc/cron.hourly/msec and
> /etc/cron.daily/msec links and see if the symptoms remain the same.

No Zip but I did remove msec ..... mostly cause I'm to lazy to make all
the hand changes I needed to. *grin*

> Blue skies...         Todd

Todd one last thing.... thanks