James wrote:
> All,
>
>    Got an interesting problem here.  It concerns everyones favorite
> subject devfs ... I've done 12 installs so far with 8.2, on 10 of the
> boxes /dev/video1-4 where created without a problem.... on two of the
> boxes .... not there at all.  So just for fun on one I reinstalled 8.2 4
> times ( I use the auto-install from a disk so it's not as painful as it
> sounds.)  3 times it created the devs 1 time it didn't.  Has anyone else
> noted this?  Why I noticed is.
>
>   1.  My companies product uses/looks for  /dev/video
>
>   2.  KDE crashes - in fact total video access is frozen.  This seems to
> be occuring when these devs aren't on the box, and it happens frequently
> on them. Near as I can tell, when they are gone the box grabs any dev it
> can to use as the video device. (not sure on this so don't quote me.)
>
>   The only way to fix it is to create the devices manually after having
> made sure that lilo has append devfs=nomount and I've booted this way.
> Is there any way to tell what the box is using instead of /dev/video if
> it doesn't create it?
>

> James

James,

It's been my personal experience in the past 6 months that devfs is
totally and completely the spawn of satan. I don't forsee any true
usefullness coming from this particular part of Mandrake's inner
workings other then LOTS of severe user frustration. personally I think
"IT" should be forever scuttled and banned from the landscape of so
wonderful an OS never to be seen or heard from again....EVER!

Mark