On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:40:20 -0700
Todd Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority

> daRcmaTTeR wrote on Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 02:32:04PM -0400 :
> >
> > It's been my personal experience in the past 6 months that devfs is
> > totally and completely the spawn of satan. I don't forsee any true
>
> Satan might like you, but I'm his favorite.  -- a coworker
>
> > usefullness coming from this particular part of Mandrake's inner
> > workings other then LOTS of severe user frustration. personally I
> > think "IT" should be forever scuttled and banned from the landscape
> > of so wonderful an OS never to be seen or heard from again....EVER!
>
> On a server where things don't change much,  yes.
> On a desktop where external drives are being hotplugged via firewire
> and USB, it needs to be there or the functionality will not appear on
> the desktop without manual configuration.  Usability is where it's
> headed folks, and making it usable without being a rocket scientist is
> what's required for your Grandmother, for you girlfriend's mom, for
> the kid down the street, etc.
>
> Blue skies...         Todd (speaking only for himself,
>                               not in any official capacity)

Todd,
   Where I don't dispute the intent I'm having fits with the results.
Oh and for my camera and my usb printer.  They haven't changed
functionality since I got rid of devfs.  Maybe because devfs set them up
at first.  I'm just getting tired of rebooting Linux.

James