On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 20:43:00 -0700
James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:38:41 -0700
> Todd Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority
>
> > James wrote on Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 06:04:16PM -0700 :
> > > Oh the wording is mine... it goes to runlevel 5 supposedly.  But X
> > > etc cannot start.  NO error messages.... just a hang.  Leaving the
> > > box alone for an hour results in a box that cannot be ssh'd into
> > > and is totally frozen.  No error messages.  No log records it
> > > seems that X and Linux think they are ok .... just it's not
> > > working.  X never fails.. nor does
> >
> > If you run top with a refresh rate of 1 second, do you slowly see
> > the load climbing?
>
> Haven't tried that will do later tonight and report... right now I've
> got to finish a web page. *grin*
>
>  If you do ps ax frequently do you see processes with a
> > status of "D"?
>
> I've looked for D and Z listings.  None found.
>
>   Just trying to isolate exactly what it is that is
> > causing the system to come to a crawl.  If it's in kernel space, it
> > could be very difficult to determine what it is that's causing it.
> >
> > Do you have a zip drive?  If so, delete the /etc/cron.hourly/msec
> > and/etc/cron.daily/msec links and see if the symptoms remain the
> > same.
>
> No Zip but I did remove msec ..... mostly cause I'm to lazy to make
> all the hand changes I needed to. *grin*
>

> > Blue skies...               Todd
>
> Todd one last thing.... thanks

Sorry it took so long to get back..... I'm approaching stable.. I
removed devfsd.  However all it's really done is lengthen the time
between reboots.  The box can sit on but unused for about 10 hours or so
before it starts loosing stability.  Lose of stability comes in the form
of programs won't start or die suddenly etc.  Then when this starts to
happen I know to reboot the box and I'm back to normal.  Top shows no
runaway  programs CPU usage generally stays below 40% bit a mean average
of about 20% (I really don't do anything that intense)  Swap never
occurs on this box as I have 384 megs ram.  Ran MemTest for 12 hours and
memory checks fine.  This same box ran 8.1 fine for about 4 months.  The
kernel I'm using now and before under 8.1 is a win4lin kernel.  Hardware

1.  ASUS TUSL-2 Motherboard.
2.  3c905c Nic
3.  SBLive Sound
4.  OnBoard Video
5.  Maxtor 80gb HDD
6.  384 megs ram
7. floppy
8. ASUS CDRW

Running XFree86 4.0.2 from the distro.  KDE3 instead of KDE2.(texstar
version) All updates are current.

James