Report from the field (so to speak)

I just downloaded and installed 9.0 beta 4..... the box seems to be
sitting here like a rock... 5 hours and no even a hint of a crash.  In
short I can find bugs, but it's a lot more solid on this box than 8.2.
Feels like 8.1 so far.  Some notes for the release would be.

DON'T release this version with KDE 3.0.0 At least make it 3.0.3 It's
out it's stable and the rpms are built so why not? In Fact if you can
try to send it out with 3.1.1.  The difference between 3.0.0 and 3.0.3
is dramatic in terms of speed and stability.

PLEASE put slocate back in the default install, and on a disk in every
version of the release (Download PowerPack etc etc)  Oh and if you do
make sure to put the cron job back in slocate.

Zero your efforts in on the i815 and Via all in wonder boards.  NVidia
and ATI are better, but All in Wonder is WalMart and nothing you have
going right now will do more for Mandrake than this WalMart deal.

If and whenever you have the chance, push for the Mandrake Menu system
to become a standard for LSB.  Not necessarily the method but the
taxonomy.  After 5 minutes with Red Hat I find myself saying the heck
with the menu I know the start command give me a shell. (Did you know
there are 3 places that say internet and each one has a different set of
apps?)

Take a strong look at some of the backwards compatible libs that RH is
putting in 7.3 .... They go a long way to easing the transition from
glibc2.x to glibc3.x. As well as allowing more and more KDE2.2 apps to
work in KDE3.x

Release 9.0 with glibc3.2 not an earlier one.  Worked with all 3 of the
versions..... 3.2 is head and shoulders above the others.

Why does the second partition in the Mandrake installer HAVE to be an
extended one?  I do multi-boot. (8 or 9 distro's per box) Cutting out 2
partitions does affect me.  (Yep on a 80 gig drive I can use all 19. 3
primaries 1 extended and 16 logical) cutting out 2 means one less distro
and I do notice this.

Oh well enough soapbox.... All in all 9.0 is shaping up to be the most
solid release since 7.0.  Don't be afraid to have a beta 5 or even 6 if
it makes increases stability and saves developer sanity it will be worth
it.

How about a 4th ISO with the beta's  This one only contains the rpm's
that have been updated since the last beta... Mandrake Control Center
could handle this no problem so why not do it?  Not only would it make
the mirrors happy (it drops the bandwidth usage.) but it would keep me
from becoming a "power user" in ATT's eyes (My Cable provider.) *grin*

James