On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 19:41, James Sparenberg wrote:

> PLEASE put slocate back in the default install, and on a disk in every
> version of the release (Download PowerPack etc etc)  Oh and if you do
> make sure to put the cron job back in slocate.

slocate is there.

Apparently there was a big discussion on [cooker] some time ago and the
decision was made to make the update weekly (in 9.0) rather than daily
(in 8.2) as the daily update tied up older machines too much,
particularly if people were switching them on and off. This seems
sensible.

> Zero your efforts in on the i815 and Via all in wonder boards.  NVidia
> and ATI are better, but All in Wonder is WalMart and nothing you have
> going right now will do more for Mandrake than this WalMart deal.

As an owner of a machine with an i815 chipset I strongly second this ;)

[snip]

> Oh well enough soapbox.... All in all 9.0 is shaping up to be the most
> solid release since 7.0.  Don't be afraid to have a beta 5 or even 6 if
> it makes increases stability and saves developer sanity it will be worth
> it.

Indeed, although the lack of documentation of the burgeoning drak*
utilities is a problem. For example, lspcidrake is very useful for
listing all devices - or what Mandrake thinks are devices - yet you
wouldn't know about it until somebody told you ...

> How about a 4th ISO with the beta's  This one only contains the rpm's
> that have been updated since the last beta... Mandrake Control Center
> could handle this no problem so why not do it?  Not only would it make
> the mirrors happy (it drops the bandwidth usage.) but it would keep me
> from becoming a "power user" in ATT's eyes (My Cable provider.) *grin*

This has been discussed on the [cooker] list. The discussion got rather
confused but I _think_ that, if you keep on doing rsync or urpmi
--auto-select with a cooker host, you pick up the up-to-date packages
anyway although no flag shoots up with 'this is now beta 4' on it (so
one of those now on beta 3 would give you beta 4 + updates until tonight
...).

Alastair