On Sunday 29 September 2002 04:11 pm, Lorne wrote:
> I'm sure I'm close. Perhaps you can see something that jumps out at
> you. Here is a copy of the config file and error log file.

> # File generated by xf86config.

Ok,  see here, one should XFdrake with mandrake - really!  I'm not
gonna name names <teehee>, but one "minor - guru" who recently
switched to nvidia never did get X going using xf86config.  The first
time he finally took my advice and tried XFdrake - BAM!  In like
flynt.

> Section "Device"
>     Identifier "device1"
>     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
>     Option "power_saver"
> EndSection

you need a driver section above in your card device section.
Driver "nvidia"

> Section "Screen"
>     Driver "svga"
>     Device "device1"
>     Monitor "A110"
>     DefaultColorDepth 24

not sure about that svga entry.  I'd comment it out and see if it were
me.

> Error log file:

I didn't see any errors there.  What was the problem again?  No 3d
acceleration?

Anyway, my advice is to rename this file whateveritis.bak and exit out
of X to init3 (terminal) and run XFdrake --noauto --expert, choose
geforce4 (generic).  Edit XF86Config-4 file (make sure Load "glx" is
there and change "nv" to "nvidia".  Then rmmod NVdriver,  modprobe
NVdriver (just to be on the safe side presuming you've already
installed nvidia drivers - have you?).  and startx.

-s