On Sunday 29 September 2002 03:00 pm, s wrote:
> On Sunday 29 September 2002 04:11 pm, Lorne wrote:
> > I'm sure I'm close. Perhaps you can see something that jumps out at
> > you. Here is a copy of the config file and error log file.
> >
> > # File generated by xf86config.
>
> Ok,  see here, one should XFdrake with mandrake - really!  I'm not
> gonna name names <teehee>, but one "minor - guru" who recently
> switched to nvidia never did get X going using xf86config.  The first
> time he finally took my advice and tried XFdrake - BAM!  In like
> flynt.

WOW! I was of the mistaken opinion that running that config tool would
rewrite/overwrite the XF86Config. NOT! I did as you suggested and renamed the
original files this time. Still no go. Same thing as before.

> > Section "Device"
> >     Identifier "device1"
> >     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
> >     Option "power_saver"
> > EndSection
>
> you need a driver section above in your card device section.
> Driver "nvidia"
>
> > Section "Screen"
> >     Driver "svga"
> >     Device "device1"
> >     Monitor "A110"
> >     DefaultColorDepth 24
>
> not sure about that svga entry.  I'd comment it out and see if it were
> me.
>
> > ****************************************************************
> > Error log file:
>
> I didn't see any errors there.  What was the problem again?  No 3d
> acceleration?

What happens is X starts to load, looking beautiful, I see an Nvidia full
scren logo, then I get a red wallpaper
screen, I see the little please wait clock that moves if I move the mouse. I
see lots of hard drive activity for probably about two minutes and then it
pops back to the bash prompt with the error log I attached. That is what
makes me think I'm so darned close.

I just tried it via a regular user account and it "seemed" to go farther. I
got audio of the startup wave file, I even got the first time you log in
asking me for setup information to send to Mandrake. I cancelled out of that,
got lots of hard drive activity then poof, back to the bash prompt. No mouse
again.

That said, I'm not beginning to think that the mouse GPM service that is
dying may be related to my problems. Maybe I need to figure out why this is
dying first. ??

> Anyway, my advice is to rename this file whateveritis.bak and exit out
> of X to init3 (terminal) and run XFdrake --noauto --expert, choose
> geforce4 (generic).  Edit XF86Config-4 file (make sure Load "glx" is
> there and change "nv" to "nvidia".  Then rmmod NVdriver,  modprobe
> NVdriver (just to be on the safe side presuming you've already
> installed nvidia drivers - have you?).  and startx.
>
> -s

I think this may start taking a turn away from XF86Config. See what you think.

I do a service GPM restart and it says failed to stop and then starts up.
If I move the mouse it will usually say
===ERROR===: [mice.c(1727)]:
imps2:PS/2 mouse failed init

If I reboot it it fine. The only thing that doesn't add up, is the config
file says to bring up X even if the mouse fails! So i'm a little perplexed on
why X is failing after such a long period of attemtping to load, but no
errors. maybe I'll have to increase the debug level?