On Sunday 29 September 2002 07:44 pm, Lorne wrote:

> WOW! I was of the mistaken opinion that running that config tool
> would rewrite/overwrite the XF86Config. NOT! I did as you suggested
> and renamed the original files this time. Still no go. Same thing
> as before.

> What happens is X starts to load, looking beautiful, I see an
> Nvidia full scren logo, then I get a red wallpaper
> screen, I see the little please wait clock that moves if I move the
> mouse. I see lots of hard drive activity for probably about two
> minutes and then it pops back to the bash prompt with the error log
> I attached. That is what makes me think I'm so darned close.

Well, number one, you're logging into window manager as root.  please
try user.  Also, add Option "NvAGP" "1" to your config file Section
"Device" and try again as user.

> I just tried it via a regular user account and it "seemed" to go
> farther. I got audio of the startup wave file, I even got the first
> time you log in asking me for setup information to send to
> Mandrake. I cancelled out of that, got lots of hard drive activity
> then poof, back to the bash prompt. No mouse again.

OH you did, well, try that AGP option mentioned above.

> That said, I'm not beginning to think that the mouse GPM service
> that is dying may be related to my problems. Maybe I need to figure
> out why this is dying first. ??

Well, they say it can conflict with some set ups.  If that option
doesn't work, as root at that bash prompt, try:  service gpm stop
first and see it that is the problem.  Log in as user.