On Sunday 29 September 2002 06:11 pm, you wrote:

> Well, number one, you're logging into window manager as root.  please
> try user.  Also, add Option "NvAGP" "1" to your config file Section
> "Device" and try again as user.

This didn't seem to make any difference. I'm going to reboot again and see if
that somehow helps.  (nope)

> Well, they say it can conflict with some set ups.  If that option
> doesn't work, as root at that bash prompt, try:  service gpm stop
> first and see it that is the problem.  Log in as user.

Here is a strange twist. Remember how I said I actually got sound and the
first log on setup screens? Nothing since. Just the blue wallpaper and the
little mouse clock until about 2 minutes later it pops back to a bash prompt.

The mouse service stops quite a bit.  Trying service gpm stop won't work,
saying "failed"  since it is already stopped. You can do a start and it will
respond with ok. Anybody have any ideas why this service would stop on a
regular basis? While X is loading the mouse service is running because I can
move the clock/mouse pointer while it is trying fire up. Right this very
instant, it will not stay loaded. ??

I'm using a Gigabyte MB with a Promise raid controller, USB 2.0, Firewire. I
disabled all the above to see if that made a difference. none. ??

I'm really stumped on this one. I'm thinking I need to increase the debug
level so we can get more info on the error log. I've been looking but so far
I've not found the switch to do so. Xfree.org's web site pretty much is
spartan. Very hard to find anything there.