On Wednesday 16 October 2002 02:33 am, you wrote:
> Todd Lyons wrote:
> > Can you try changing it to soft mounts instead of hard mounts?  Also,
> > have you tried changing the read and write block chunk size?

Hope you don't mind me butting in here Todd! :-)

> man mount makes no mention of any 'hard' or 'soft' mount options, so
> what is it whereof you speak, please?

Hi there. For a really great web site all about NFS go to:

http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/

It helped me no end when I setup NFS on my 3 comp LAN here at home.

I just setup NFS on my 3-comp LAN a couple of months ago and
according to the "LInux Administration For Dummies" book I used as a
reference, (this book was written just for me!!!), here is what they have to
say about mounting:

'I recommend that you always use hard-mounting with an "intr" option whenever
possible.  The idea is to prevent possible sticky situations when there's an
NFS server problem.  Without "intr" the Linux client will try to mount the
volume until the universe comes to an end, even during the NFS problem or
power outage.  If you've determined that waiting for cosmic implosion might
take too long, you'll probably end up having to do a rather gory reboot if
you don't have that handy "intr" option in place.'

I took their advice, and used these /etc/fstab entries for my setup:

darkforce:/home/darklord/tmp    /home/jeremy/public     nfs     rw,hard,intr
0 0
darkforce:/home/darklord/tmp    /home/zerocool/public   nfs     rw,hard,intr
0 0

(keeping in mind that my main machine is the server, and my 2 sons comps are
clients)

I can verify that no matter what combination of the 3 comps are turned off or
on, or running or not, they will start up and shutdown gracefully, with no
hangups. (although I've not left them running for longer than 12-16 hours at
a time)

Hope this helps! :-)

--
                                                                          /\