On Wednesday 16 October 2002 09:47 pm, Ron Stodden wrote:
> Pierre Fortin wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:19:54 +1000 Ron Stodden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Did you try "/string<return>"...?  Same as find in "less"...
>
> No, but that is nice to know, thanks but users (me) would normally
> expect an Edit | Find menu entry.   What text language are the man pages
> written in?

The markup language is completely separate from the program that displays it
on the screen (think html/browser).  Read "man man" for how man decides on
which viewing program to use.

To answer your other question:  groff.  And here's how you can find that bit
of arcana:

lynx /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/html/en/index.html

Then use the slash
/man

After entries for GerMAN and MANagaing Multiple Operating Systems ('n' goes to
the next hit), you'll see the Linux Man Page HOWTO.

Spend some quality time poking around in this directory -- it's well worth it.
Use a graphic browser if you don't care for lynx.

And to encourage you to do so, here's how to get back there without so much
typing.  (Type this in exactly from your home directory.  ^=Control Key.)

cat > howto
#!/bin/sh
lynx /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/index.html
^D
chmod 755 howto
./howto

There are many, many, many other ways of accomplishing the same thing.

Enjoy!

Barry