Todd Lyons wrote:

> From my man page:
>
> Also the following Boolean options, possibly preceded by no are
> recognized:  bg,  fg,  soft,  hard, intr, posix, cto, ac, tcp, udp,
> lock.  For details, see nfs(5).
>
> Especially useful options include
>
> rsize=8192,wsize=8192 This  will make your nfs connection faster
> than with the default buffer size of 4096. (NFSv2 does not work with
> larger values  of rsize and wsize.)
>
> hard   The  program  accessing a file on a NFS mounted file
> system will hang when the server crashes. The process cannot be
> interrupted or  killed unless you also specify intr.  When the NFS
> server is back online the program will continue undisturbed from where
> it was. This is probably what you want.
>
> soft   This  option  allows the kernel to time out if the nfs
> server is not responding for some time. The time  can  be  specified
> with timeo=time.   This  option  might  be  useful if your nfs server
> sometimes doesn't respond or will be rebooted while some process tries
> to  get  a  file from the server.  Usually it just causes lots of
> trouble.

Yes, but it took me a LONG time to find them in man mount, because (I
discover - thanks!) they only apply to the network file system (nfs).
I suppose I should apologise, but some kind of find capabilty on man
pages would have helped...

I would say that 'hard' is the default which means that nfs mounts will
not reliably umount on shutdown, causing indefinite hangs since 7.2
(still a problem in 9.0).   I will try 'intr' on these mounts.

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
    troels... now updated to use sunet.se server.