Say, I just noticed this as well, but it appears that JG is correct.

On my windoze directory, I saw:
[root@jack-in jdyer]# ls -l /mnt/win_c
<snip>
dr-xr-xr-x   20 root     root         8192 May 26 17:23 Program Files/
<snip>

Now, I thought this was controlled by the "umask=0" parameter in my
/etc/fstab, but I tried:

[root@jack-in jdyer]# chmod +w /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files

Lo and behold, now I get the following:

[root@jack-in jdyer]# ls -l /mnt/win_c
<snip>
drwxrwxrwx   20 root     root         8192 May 26 17:23 Program Files/
<snip>

(Notice that everyone now has write permission to my "Program Files"
directory.)  So, I'm assuming that, somewhere along the way, the FAT file
system driver has changed, such that it's permissions are somehow mapped to
the unix standard.

Further experimentation reveals that changing permissions is "kinda funky"...
For example:

[root@jack-in jdyer]# chmod g-w /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files
[root@jack-in jdyer]# ls -ld /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files
dr-xr-xr-x   20 root     root         8192 May 26 17:23 /mnt/win_c/Program
Files/

(Notice, no write for anyone, despite the fact that this was a change to group
permission.  I'm pretty sure that write access was allowed for everyone,
prior to this command...)

[root@jack-in jdyer]# chmod u+w /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files
[root@jack-in jdyer]# ls -ld /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files
drwxrwxrwx   20 root     root         8192 May 26 17:23 /mnt/win_c/Program
Files/

(Now, everyone has write permission, even tho this was specified as a change
to the "u"ser (owner) permissions.)

[root@jack-in jdyer]# chmod g-w /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files
[root@jack-in jdyer]# ls -ld /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files
drwxrwxrwx   20 root     root         8192 May 26 17:23 /mnt/win_c/Program
Files/

(Deny group write access?  Apparently not...)

I'll grant that it's pretty strange, but it probably has something to do with
mapping unix permissions (three sets, owner/group/others) to M$ permissions
(Bill sez, "one size fits all", and you'd better like it.)

"Good luck with that",
-Jason

--

Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'.