Hi bascule, PlugHead and W. Kasberg,

PlugHead you are correct, linux "inteligently" maps the limited FAT readonly/system/hidden/archive to its attempt at the unix equiv.

Thus "system" is root only, "hidden" is root too (with no read access to dirs i think) "readonly" does not have read flag for anyone. Or some variation on this, i forget, i only use fat for legacy stuff now.

Due to the limited options on fat some of the files will not be mapped entirely perfectly. This means that winnt, program files etc can only be viewed by root.

bascule, if you read man mount & man fstab you will see all the options you need.

JG