interesting, is this a recent thing? i've been a newbie for a few years and
when i first read about umask=0 etc. i don't recall this,  also i suspect
that where plughead and i have been issuing chmod commands that these
resulted in 'virtual'? changes, that if i boot into win9xp i would find that
some of my mp3s were still marked as 'read only', i say this because i had
this behaviour under 8.2, issued chmod -R 0777 * and was able to edit the
file tags, yet now under 9.0 some are read only again!
i'm going to re read the man pages now but it could be useful for folk
searching the archives to clarify this one last point :-)

bascule

--
"...[Arthur] leapt to his feet like an author hearing the
phone ring..."

- Who says that the character of Arthur isn't
autobiographical?