On Saturday 19 October 2002 03:17 pm, Ron Stodden wrote:
> Also, Windows file names permit only one period (after which is the
> extension), whereas Linux files can have an unlimited number of periods.
>    This means that when Windows has to handle a Linux file, it renames
> it so that all the periods except the last are changed to underscores.
>   After that there is no way of telling whether an underscore was a
> period or an underscore.   Important information is thereby permanently
> lost.
>
> So never use Windows to download Linux files, period!

I used a shared FAT32 drive to backup my home directory and all the files in
my maildir folders were scrambled.  I had to make a script to send a From
line to a folder followed by the message and loop through all the files.
Then Kmail would read it as a mbox file.  I'm really glad it was recoverable.

I've got 2 100GB drives (one in each PC) that are FAT32, leftovers from
converting over to Linux.  I'm working on moving files off to convert to
ext3.  So far, one is done.  I gotta get gigabit ethernet cards.  :)