On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 14:48, Daryl Johnson wrote:

> In which case remember that this is a world-wide mailing list and, despite
> the apparent belief of the US that what they want is the same for all of us,
> it's not.

It's not a matter of what "they want", because most of us Americans are
not egotistical narsissistic egomaniacs with an overwhelming desire to
rule the world.  I can certainly understand how viewing CBS, ABC, or
MSNBC would easily engender hatred for the US; however the liberal
"media" only represents a very small fraction of the American viewpoint,
and the liberals defend that leverage almost with their lives.  Most of
us just have a "live and let live" policy regarding other peoples.
Watching US news media broadcasts would tend to give you the opposite
impression, I know.  The primary matter of concern here is what is going
to happen to YOU if those of us digital rights defenders in the US (who
btw have NO CONTROL over the US news media) prove unable to successfully
defend the digital freedom flag and it falls.  If it does, then you are
next, my friend...no matter what *anybody* wants.

> Go and fight out your political battles on an advocacy group.

In a way, this IS an advocacy group, and BTW there will BE no Linux
advocacy groups at all if these Dem politicians get their way.

> If you want to ask for support against DMCA or similar by all means lobby for
> AMERICAN voters but remember that the American political body doesn't give a
> shit about the opinions of non-voters ie the rest of the world, so it is a
> pointless request.

The American political body technically includes me as a voter, so you
are wrong about us not giving a shat.  I care quite a bit about the
opinions of my European friends, even if we don't always agree on
everything.  (Second Amendment rights of the US constitution, for
example) The voices of the world matter quite a bit because they can
influence their American voter friends.  At this time, the leverage that
all peoples outside the US is at it's greatest, because there is an
election coming up in November.  If digital rights and the very
existence of Linux is important to you, then the facts and history show
that the American Democratic politicians are the enemy.  I suggest that
if you or any other Europeans have American counterparts, then they need
to start encouraging research and voter participation in this matter
immediately, before the November voting deadline passes.

> Just my 2 euros worth.
>
> regards
>
> Daryl

Best Regards

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2